Legislative Update from Representative Joseph Chaplik
WHAT: Status of Budget.
The legislator passed the Budget, but Budget was vetoed by Governor Katie Hobbs.
- The budget is $15.1 billion with $1.8 billion surplus to use on high priority needs of the state ($17 total revenue).
- The budget Katie Hobbs vetoed is the same budget Democrats voted for last year. It is a good budget that funds the needs of Arizona citizens, but does not fund Democrat priorities like college for illegal immigrants. Joseph Chaplik and 9 other Republicans voted against this budget last year, but are now supporting it as it is $1.7 billion less than the budget Hobbs requested.
- Where do we go from here? Slightly adjust the budget to include additional funding for Arizona priorities like education, public safety, and transportation/roads, but Katie Hobbs is willing to shut the government down if her priorities are not included.
- Republicans need to unite and refuse to support any Democrat sponsored or co-sponsored bills until Democrats can get onboard with a budget that supports Arizona priorities.
- For more details, listen to this podcast with Garret Lewis: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/82-garret-lewis-28403290/episode/the-morning-ritual-with-garret-lewis–109107518/
WHY: Budget deadline is June 30, 2023.
WHEN: find out when budget bills will be heard – we’ll try post that.
CALL TO ACTION: Contact the members of the Legislature. Ask them to get onboard with a budget that supports Arizona priorities..
HOW/WHERE: Contact the members of the Legislature. Ask them to get onboard with a budget that supports Arizona priorities. Telephone, mail, or text with your position.
- If you have an RTS account at gov, please “sign in” formally register position on budget bills us https://apps.azleg.gov/RequestToSpeak/Agenda/15888
- sign up to testify at the hearing in person at the Capitol
WHO: Committee Members: Chairman, Vice-Chairman, members